207 VARNER HALL
Fax: (248) 370-2041
Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, and Director, School of Music, Theatre and Dance:
Associate Director: Kerro Knox
School Office: Manjit Gill, Budget Manager; Carly Uhrig, Marketing Manager; Danny DeRose, Recruitment and Outreach Coordinator; Elizabeth Medvinsky, Music preparatory Division Director; Sean DeLaney, Communications Associate.
Katherine Boersma, Production and Facilities Manager; Terry Herald, Audio/Video Services Manager; Megan Herald, Assistant Production and Facilities Manager; Emily Hadick; Box Office Manager.
Joseph Beck, Theatre Technical Director; Christa Koerner, Costume Shop Manager; Chad Rasor, Assistant Technical Director; Shirleen DiFonzo, Costume Shop Assistant; Christy Heussner, Costume Shop Assistant; Cal Schwartz, Costume Shop Assistant.
The School of Music, Theatre and Dance offers liberal arts programs in the performing arts, programs designed to prepare students for professional careers in the performing arts, and advanced programs designed to enhance and extend the professional knowledge of performing arts professionals.
In the liberal arts programs, a student can earn a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in:
- dance education
Undergraduate professional preparation programs include:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in dance
- Bachelof of Fine Arts in dance education
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in theatre with a major in acting
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in theatre with a major in musical theatre
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in theatre with a major in theatre design and technology
- Bachelor of Music in music education
- Bachelor of Music in music education and performance
- Bachelor of Music in piano pedagogy
- Bachelor of Music in piano performance, specialization in pedagogy
- Bachelor of Music with a major in voice, piano, or instrumental performance
Graduate programs for music professionals include a Doctor of Philosophy in music education and a Master of Music in performance, pedagogy, conducting or music education.
Non-degree programs include graduate certificates in performance, conducting or music education, performer’s certificates in undergraduate and graduate piano, and liberal arts minors in music, theatre or dance, and minors in jazz studies and world music.
The school offers student performance opportunities in dramatic and musical theatre productions, dance performances, music ensembles and recitals. Most performance opportunities are open to all qualified students.
All programs offered by the School of Music, Theatre and Dance are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, the National Association of Schools of Theatre and the National Association of Schools of Dance.
Outreach, Partnerships and Opportunities
Affiliated professional organizations
- Take Root (dance company in residence)
- Eisenhower Dance (in residence)
- Patterson Rhythm Pace Dance Company
- Meadow Brook Theatre Ensemble
- Oakland Symphony Orchestra
Partners in the performing arts
- Chamber Music Society of Detroit
- Synergy on Stage
- Oakland Youth Orchestras (OYO)
- Oakland University Cooperative Orchestral Library (OUCOL)
Professional internship opportunities
- Oakland Symphony Orchestra
- Eisenhower Dance apprenticeships
- Take Root apprenticeships
- Meadow Brook Theatre Ensemble apprenticeships
- Student Teaching in regional K-12 schools
Study abroad opportunities
- Classical Theatre Study in Greece
- Traditional Music and Dance in Ghana
- Dance Study in Berlin, Germany
Center for Applied Research in Musical Understanding
The mission of the Center for Applied Research in Musical Understanding (CARMU) is to:
- transform practice in music education;
- build and advance a research-based pedagogy of teaching for musical understanding;
- support preK-12 music educators in Michigan, the United States, and internationally;
- demonstrate how research informs professional practice in music education;
- seek national and international eminence in applied research in musical understanding at Oakland University;
- support faculty, graduate and undergraduate research in musical understanding.
The Center hosts biannual international conferences on music learning and teaching and publishes materials that support the work of music educators. Visit CARMU.
Music Preparatory Division
The Department of Music offers programs to the community through the Music Preparatory Division (302 Varner Hall, 248-370-2034, firstname.lastname@example.org). The Prep Division offers private studio lessons in voice, piano, guitar, and all orchestral instruments for elementary and secondary school students and adults as well as classes in music theory and early childhood music classes. The Music Prep Division also provides lessons for undergraduate students who wish to study an instrument or voice but do not have enough prior experience to study for college credit.
School Honors and Awards
The school offers honors and awards for students, alumni, and community supporters. School honors are awarded for a combination of academic achievement (minimum 3.30 GPA), artistry in the major area of study and contribution to the operations of the department or school. Alumni Arts Achievement Awards are presented in dance, music and theatre. The school also awards a Distinguished Community Service Award and an Outstanding Student Service Award.
The Department of Music confers a Distinguished Musicianship Award as the department’s highest honor in music and Outstanding Student Awards to students who distinguish themselves in performance, music education, chamber music and jazz. The Joyce Weintraub Adelson Memorial Award for Piano Ensemble honors the memory of an Oakland University piano instructor and the Jennifer Scott Memorial Award honors the memory of an Oakland University piano student.
The Department of Theatre confers Outstanding Student Awards in acting, musical theatre, theatre design and technology. The Gittlin Theatre and Gittlin Achievement Awards are scholarships offered to theatre students of promise and outstanding ability.
The Department of Dance confers a variety of awards, including Outstanding Student Awards in choreography and dance performance. Maggie Allesee Summer Study Awards provide students opportunity to study at summer dance workshops and festivals.
Schedule of classes
Specific offerings for each semester may be found in the Schedule of Classes.