May 20, 2018
Requirements for the liberal arts major in communication, B.A. program
The major in communication combines theory and practice and emphasizes how people analyze and make responsible choices in communication contexts. Students develop critical perspectives in order to evaluate different communication approaches. Students, as communicators, learn to choose the effect their actions have on others. They learn also to choose their roles as citizens in a community. This responsibility requires that they appreciate and respect human differences among cultures, social groups, genders and individuals, and that they create a voice for building personal and public relationships.
To earn the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in communication, students must complete a minimum of 40 credits, of which 20 credits must be at the 300 level or above, plus language and writing corequisite courses.
The requirements include:
1. Required courses (must be completed with a grade of 2.0 or higher)
Plus one of the following
2. Four credits in a capstone course (must be completed with a grade of 2.0 or higher)
3. One course from the Interpersonal group
4. One course from the Media group
5. One course from the Rhetoric/Critical Cultural group
6. At least 8 credits in COM electives from among all COM course offerings
7. Language corequisite (choose one of the following)
- American Sign Language at the university level (COM 114 –COM 115 ). COM 114 –COM 115 will also satisfy the elective requirement (see #6 above) for the major in communication.
- An introductory two-semester sequence in a modern foreign language (4 credits of which will satisfy university general education language requirement)
- One semester of a modern foreign language at the 115 level or higher (will satisfy the university general education language requirement)
8. Writing corequisite (choose one of the following)
Students using this catalog to meet communication major requirements may also use any course subsequently approved as satisfying requirements in a particular group and published in a later catalog.
Communications majors interested in careers in public relations or advertising are encouraged to minor in public relations or advertising. (See the Journalism Program section of this catalog.)
Requirements for the modified major in communication with a linguistics concentration, B.A. program
To earn a communication major with a concentration in linguistics, students must completed 24 credits in communication and 20 credits in lingusitics, including:
2. At least one COM course from each of the following course groupings, chosen in consult with the department adviser
- Rhetoric/Critical Cultural
3. 20 credits in LIN or ALS courses, including