2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog
Public Relations and Strategic Communication, B.A.
Admission to the major
Admission to the major in public relations and strategic communication is granted only by the department. Admission to the university does not constitute or guarantee admission to the major.
1. To be considered for admission to the major all students, as pre-majors, must attain a minimum 3.0 in each of the following three courses:
Students cannot apply for major standing until they have completed these courses. This requirement applies to incoming first-year students, transfer students, currently enrolled Oakland University students and students working on a second bachelor’s degree.
*No more than one of these admission courses may be repeated for the purpose of determining eligibility.
2. Transfer students may complete the equivalent courses at their previous college or university, but they must attain the minimum grade of 3.0 in the equivalent courses.
3. Students who have completed the required courses with minimum grades of 3.0 must complete and submit a Declaration of Eligibility Form in the department office to become part of the student major pool. Successful completion of the required admission courses does not guarantee admission to the major. Admission to the major is competitive and is determined by the satisfactory completion of the admission courses and cumulative GPA. This policy will apply to native and transfer students.
4. Admission to the major is based on:
- The number of majors that the department can reasonably accept without compromising the quality of its educational experience. No more than 30 students will be admitted to the major within an academic calendar year.
- The satisfactory completion of the admission courses and the student’s cumulative GPA. The candidates with the highest-ranking GPA in the admission courses and cumulative GPA from the pool of applicants will be selected.
- Students should request public relations and strategic communication as their major by completing the Declaration of Eligibility Form. The form should be completed during finals week before the semester deadlines. The department will wait until all grades are in before processing applications. Students will be notified by email to their Oakland University email address of their acceptance or denial.
- Students who are denied may reapply. Address appeals to the chair. Appeals should be in the form of a letter accompanied by a transcript.