Jun 21, 2018
SEHS ADVISING OFFICE
Pawley Hall, Room 363
456 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
Students who wish to pursue an elementary education major are admitted by the Admissions Office and given pre-elementary education status. Students who hold a baccalaureate degree in another discipline seeking a second undergraduate degree must meet the undergraduate degree program requirements, excluding General Education Requirements . After admission, students meet for course selection with Academic Advisers in the SEHS Advising Office, Pawley Hall (Room 363), 456 Pioneer Drive.
Pre-elementary education students may only register for the following categories of coursework: Math ( MTH 0661 , MTH 0662 , MTE 2110 , MTE 2111 ) Writing (WRT 1020 , WRT 1050 , WRT 1060 ), General Education, Major/Minor endorsement area courses, EED 2000 /EED 2001 , SCS 2060 and the 20-credit planned program.
Requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in elementary education
Admission to major standing is required before beginning the professional sequence. Elementary education students plan their course work with an adviser in the SEHS Advising Office. Students using this catalog to meet major requirements may also use any course subsequently approved as satisfying requirements and published in a later catalog.
To earn the BS degree - students must:
- Complete 132-159 credits, depending on the student’s core content major or minor areas of concentration. At least 32 credits, including the last eight, must be taken at Oakland University and at least 32 credits must be at the 3000 level or above. Education credits may not be older than six years upon completion of the program.
- Meet university General Education Requirements .
- Complete one teaching major or two teaching minors (from the core content areas described below) with a minimum grade of B- or 2.7 in each course.
- Complete a 20-credit planned program consisting of EED 3220 , EED 4180 , EED 4181 , MTD 3001 , and three additional core content area courses that are not in the student’s one teaching major or two minors.
- Complete pre-professional and professional coursework with a minimum grade B or 3.0 in each course, unless otherwise noted, and a minimum grade of C or 2.0 in EED 4950 (B or 3.0 required for recommendation for teaching certification). Pre-professional courses: MTE 2110 C or 2.0, MTE 2111 C or 2.0, EED 2000 /EED 2001 B or 3.0, SCS 2060 . Professional courses: EED 3000 , EED 3001 , FE 3010 , EED 3220 , DLL 4196 , MTD 3001 , SE 4401 , RDG 3231 , RDG 3233 , EED 4230 , EED 4260 , EED 4180 , EED 4181 , EED 4270 , and RDG 4214 . Students with a major or minor in a modern language must also take EED 4240 .
- Earn a minimum grade of C or 2.0 in each general education course and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.80 or better.
- Be in compliance with all legal curricular requirements for Michigan certification.
Some General Education Requirements courses fulfill major/minor and 20-credit planned program requirements. Students should consult their adviser before selecting courses.
Core content area majors/minors
In keeping with state requirements, one teaching major selected from the following are required for certification. A teaching major/minor identifies subjects that a graduate is certified to teach in grades 6-8. Coursework is limited to the classes listed and those on the approved list available in the advising office. Students must earn a minimum grade of B- (or 2.7) in each teaching major/minor course. Courses transferred from institutions that assign letter grades must have a minimum grade of B- to be accepted. Course exemption granted based on Advanced Placement credit may substitute for major/minor coursework when applicable. This list may change to reflect changes in state-approved major and minor programs. Transfer courses may be reviewed by advisers to determine if content meets the endorsement standards.
Language arts teaching minor – 24 credits
ENG (choose one (1) course from the list of approved Literature General Education courses):
Language arts teaching major – 36 credits
Meet requirements of the language arts minor plus 12 additional credits selected with at least one course from the Writing Component:
Mathematics teaching minor – 20 credits
Mathematics teaching major – 30 credits
Meet requirements of the mathematics minor plus at least 10 credits from:
Modern languages teaching minor – 20 to 24 credits - All credits must be at the 3000-4000 level.
In addition, EED 4240 - Foreign Language Teaching Methods in Elementary and Middle School, is required.
At least 12 credits of those required for the elementary teaching minor in a modern language must be taken at Oakland University.
Modern languages teaching major – 32 credits - All credits must be at the 3000-4000 level
In addition EED 4240 - Foreign Language Teaching Methods in Elementary and Middle School is required.
Integrated science teaching minor – 28 credits
Integrated science teaching major – 36 credits
Meet requirements of the integrated science minor plus four credits from:
And four credits of electives selected from:
Social studies teaching major – 36 credits
Plus one additional PS course selected from:
If additional elective credits are needed, they should be selected from either the list of approved courses detailed above or:
Early Childhood Education - 30 credits
B (or 3.0) minimum grade in each course
In addition to their one core area major, or two minor, students may add an additional endorsement in:
English as a Second Language - 20 credits