Feb 24, 2024  
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Information


AP/IB/CLEP Policies

Advanced Placement (AP)

Course exemption and/or credit toward graduation is granted to students who have official scores sent to the university by the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board. Oakland University grants credit for scores of 5 or 4 in advanced placement examinations, and, in some cases, for scores of 3. Students presenting AP scores for credit should be aware that the content of particular courses may not correspond to that of any university courses. In such cases, the AP credit would count toward graduation but would not satisfy any academic program requirements. An AP Policy  regarding credits and exemptions given for particular examinations is available on our website.

College-level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national program of credit-by-examination that offers a person the opportunity to obtain recognition for college-level achievement. Personal reading, on-the-job experience, adult school or correspondence courses, or television or taped courses may have prepared persons to earn college credit.

Anyone may register and, for a fee, take one or several of the CLEP examinations. CLEP does not directly grant college credit, but more than 2,800 educational institutions in all 50 states offer college credit on the basis of CLEP scores. In essence, credits earned through CLEP examinations are considered transfer credits into Oakland University.

Credit shall be awarded by OU for subject examinations passed with a score of 50 or above. The amount of credit OU awards for subject examinations is indicated after each exam. Credit is awarded for subject examinations only if the following conditions have been met:

  • Students must not previously have taken more advanced work in the field of the examination.
  • No credit will be granted for examinations which cover material comparable to OU courses which do not carry credit toward graduation.

For more information: to learn about individual CLEP tests, study guides and test centers visit their website.

International Baccalaureate Diploma Program

Oakland University grants credit and/or course exemptions to students based on their IB scores. Students who participated in the IB program in high school should request their scores be provided to the university for evaluation. An IB Policy regarding credits and exemptions given for particular examinations is available on our website.

Special Opportunities for Students

Oakland University offers students several unusual opportunities for study both on and off campus. These opportunities are described here, and academic advisers and faculty members are able to assist students interested in pursuing any of them.

Research opportunities

At Oakland University, students are encouraged to join faculty research projects or to propose their own research and scholarly activities under faculty supervision. Student participation in research helps build leadership skills and provides an opportunity to contribute to the development of new knowledge in their chosen field. Undergraduates interested in joining a faculty research project should consult with their advisers or contact an individual faculty member concerning projects in their area of interest. The Center for Undergraduate Research Leadership (CURL), based in The Honors College, also supports undergraduate research leadership initiatives. CURL aims to advance the idea that strong undergraduate research leadership supports the future of higher education, the engine powering the success of our colleges and universities and of the public and private sectors. Research involving the use of humans, animals, biohazardous or radioactive materials must be approved by the appropriate regulatory oversight committee before research activities can be initiated (see Academic Policies and Procedures).

There are various student research funding opportunities available at Oakland University. Currently enrolled students are invited to apply for student research and travel grants under the guidance of a full-time OU faculty member. Visit the research website for details on student funding opportunities.

Computing resources

A wide range of computing resources are available to students at Oakland University. All students can connect to the Internet via Grizznet, a wireless network that spans multiple campus buildings, the residence halls and student apartments. It is recommended that students purchase laptops for use on the Oakland University wireless network, or that students plan to use a personally-owned desktop computer. High quality printing capability is available in several campus locations. Computer facilities are readily accessible in Kresge Library, the Oakland Center and other departmental locations.

Study Abroad and Study Away

International Education in the Office of Global Engagement facilitates study abroad throughout the world and study away at campuses throughout North America. The office promotes the global mobility of students and faculty and believes in the transformative power of global engagement and its positive impact on individuals and the world.

Oakland University students may avail themselves of nearly 300 different study abroad programs in 45 countries, some sponsored by our program provider partner, Global Education Oregon (GEO), in Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, England, France, Ghana, Greece, Germany, Ireland, Italy and Spain. Our other major partners, the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), offers programs on six continents, including innovative programs focused on business, ecology and sustainability, health sciences and service learning. The University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) offers more than 50 programs across 27 countries in non-traditional locations or in unique parts of more traditional places including 25 language study options.

The Japan Center for Michigan Universities, a consortium composed of all the public universities in the state of Michigan, coordinates programs in Japanese language and culture in Hikone, Shiga Province, Japan, and can provide up to two years of study, as well as short-term summer courses in subjects like social order, comparative health science, and criminal justice.

Oakland University has an expanding portfolio of exchange agreements with partner universities around the world where Oakland students may directly enroll at a university abroad for a semester or a full academic year while paying OU tuition and earning OU credits. An exchange program with Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan, provides an opportunity for one or two semesters of study while living with a Japanese family. One- and two-semester exchanges are available with the University of Orléans in France and the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in Germany. Exchange programs with the University of East Anglia in England and the University of Malta offer a full range of courses taught entirely in English. Summer and fall semester exchanges are available at the Hochschule Mannheim University in Mannheim, Germany and offer mechanical engineering courses taught in English and optional German language courses.

Oakland University also offers a variety of faculty-led international programs, most of which are short term (two to six weeks) and take place during the summer semester. The Department of Modern Languages and Literatures offers an intensive six-week language and culture study at the China Foreign Affairs University in Beijing in May and June of each even-numbered year, providing language study via linguistic immersion in Mandarin Chinese.

The Department of Sociology, Anthropology, Social Work and Criminal Justice offers an Archaeology in Israel program annually which includes three weeks working on excavations at sites of historical importance in association with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

Other faculty-led international programs include the British Studies at Oxford program, Classical Theatre in Hydra, Greece, Art History in Volterra, Italy and Film at the Toronto International Film Festival. The Department of Biological Sciences offers field courses in Tropical Ecology in Costa Rica and other locations, and the School of Nursing offers a two-week Nursing Research program in Padova, Italy. The German Contemporary Dance program runs every three years in Berlin. The School of Business Administration offers a variety of international programs for both undergraduates and MBA students. New programs are developed each year.

Through the National Student Exchange, Oakland University students may study away for a semester or a full academic year at one of more than 170 participating colleges and universities throughout North America, including Canada, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, and Hawaii. Students pay OU tuition while on exchange and in most cases are eligible to take any courses at their host university for which they have the pre-requisites.

All programs provide credits toward baccalaureate degrees. For additional information about these programs, see the website of the Office of International Education.

The mission of the Office of International Education is to serve all Oakland University students by providing immersive, meaningful academic experiences abroad with a commitment to safety and accessibility. The Office supports, facilitates and encourages study abroad and opportunities to volunteer or intern abroad, perform research abroad or teach in an international setting for students, faculty and staff. The Office seeks to increase and deepen the University’s engagement in the global scholarly community through productive agreements with universities and other appropriate institutions around the world. It serves as a resource center for the Oakland academic community by providing information on international study and research opportunities, supporting internationalization of the curriculum and of campus life and facilitating the presence of foreign students and scholars on our campus. Through such endeavors, the Office affirms the importance of a global outlook as an essential part of the University’s overall mission.

Veterans’ Certification

Students receiving VA education benefits must complete a request for enrollment certification with the Veteran Support Services at the beginning of each semester. Students must have all eligibility documents on file with that office as well as an academic plan of work. Students receiving benefits must report promptly all changes in enrollment. Students on probation for two consecutive terms cannot be certified for benefits. For further information, please contact the certifying official at the Veteran Support Services Office, Vandenberg Hall, Room 112, (248) 370-2010.

Oakland University E-mail

Oakland University provides each student with free e-mail service and an e-mail address. Important notices about official Oakland University business are sent to e-mail accounts, instead of through the United States Postal Service. This information is important to maintaining a student’s relationship with the university and will include notices about financial aid, grades, tuition bills, and other relevant data. The university will hold students accountable for all information sent via e-mail. Therefore, all registered students should check their Oakland University e-mail account regularly at least weekly. The University Technology Services website offers tips and information on how to activate, access and forward your OU e-mail. Oakland University will not sell or give away student e-mail information and will not use e-mail to advertise for third parties.


Undergraduate School Tuition rates subject to revision

The Oakland University Board of Trustees reserves the right to change any and all tuition rates when circumstances make such a change necessary.

Terms and Conditions

By registering for courses or contracting for on campus housing at Oakland University, all students acknowledge that they have read and accept the Student Business Services Terms and Conditions.

Tuition rates

Tuition rates quoted in this catalog are from the 2019-20 academic year unless otherwise indicated.      

Tuition rate charts may be found on the Student Financial Services website under Tuition & Costs.

BASE TUITION RATES apply to courses in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education and Human Services.

Lower-division rates apply to freshmen and sophomores with fewer than 56 credits, and non-matriculating (non-degree seeking) students.

Upper-division rates apply to juniors and seniors with 56 or more credits, students who have earned undergraduate degrees and are admitted to OU for a second undergraduate degree program, all students with post-bachelor admission status, and guest students from other colleges.

Out of state tuition rates apply to non-Michigan residents and are also based on upper- and lower-division status.


Lower Division


Upper Division



Lower Division


Upper Division



Lower Division


Upper Division


All rates are per credit hour. *Some online programs are approved for in-state tuition. Visit website for a list.

DIFFERENTIAL TUITION RATES apply to courses offered by the School of Health Sciences, School of Business Administration, School of Nursing and the School of Engineering and Computer Science, regardless of major.

Course numbers determine tuition rates in the academic units with differential tuition: courses 0001-2999 and courses 3000 and above.



0001-2999 level courses


3000+ courses



0001-2999 level courses


3000+ courses



0001-2999 level courses


3000+ courses



0001-2999 level courses


3000+ courses


All rates are per credit hour.

RN to BSN Program $9,995.00 / semester

Graduate School Tuition Rates

Please follow link to view tuition for graduate school tuition rates.

Online Programs

Some online programs are approved for In-State Tuition.

Course competency by examination

Students who register for degree credit by course competency examination are assessed $55.00 per credit. This rate is subject to change.

Billing cycle and due dates

Tuition is payable in U.S. dollars. Remittance should be made payable to “Oakland University” and identified with the student name and last four digits of the Grizzly ID number. Payment due dates and the consequences of non-payment and late payments can be found on the Student Financial Services website. Student Business Services will send notifications electronically to each student’s official Oakland University e-mail address. Students also may access their student account information, including statements, via the eBill system through the student portal at MySAIL. Students can authorize parents or other third parties to access the eBill system to view statements, enroll in payment plans, and make payments.  Questions about your statement may be addressed to Student Financial Services. For important student account and payment information, visit the Student Financial Services website.

IMPORTANT!! If you have not set up your official Oakland University email address (@oakland.edu) you will not receive your notification. 


Payments returned by the bank are considered nonpayment and may result in cancellation of registration. A $25.00 returned items charge will be assessed for payments returned for any reason.


Student account balances must be paid in full by the established due dates to avoid cancellation from classes and university housing (if applicable). Students who are canceled from classes will have their tuition charges reversed. Students who are canceled from housing will have their charges adjusted according to University Housing’s terms and conditions.

Late Payment Penalty

Payment in full of the total balance due will avoid assessment of a 1.5 percent monthly late payment penalty. Student accounts must be paid in full by the established due dates for students to be eligible to register during the next registration period. Online transcripts, diplomas or other statements of record will be withheld and students will be ineligible to enroll and/or continue to be enrolled in future semesters until their obligations have been fulfilled. If an account is not paid in full by the end of the semester, it will be referred to an outside collection agency that will report it to the Credit Bureau.

Tuition Refunds (Contact Office of the Registrar)

Students who find it necessary to drop all courses for which they are registered may do so by dropping all of their classes via SAIL Web, by fax or by certified mail. For more information on dropping courses, visit the website. Students must officially drop courses during the tuition refund periods to be eligible for reduction in tuition assessments. Refunds, if applicable, are based on the date of notification to the Registrar or on the date the last class was dropped via the SAIL system.

Payment Options

All payments must be in U.S. currency.

Remittance should be made payable to “Oakland University” and identified with the student name and the last four digits of the Grizzly ID number. We do not accept payments over the phone. Payments returned by the bank are considered nonpayment and may result in cancellation of registration. A $25.00 returned item charge will be assessed for payments returned for any reason.

Payments options are as follows:

Pay online: Use your checking or savings account, or by debit/credit card through a third-party processor. The processor accepts VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover, and will add a 2.85 percent (minimum $3) convenience charge to the transaction. This charge is assessed by the processor, not Oakland University, and will not appear on your student account nor be covered by financial aid. The convenience charge is not refundable under any circumstance.

You will need your Grizzly ID number and six-digit SAIL PIN. The account will be credited immediately when paying by eBill. Electronic payment confirmations will be sent to the student’s OU email. 

By mail: Payments by check can be mailed.  All checks should be made payable to “Oakland University” and include the student name and the last four digits of the Grizzly ID number to ensure correct and timely processing. Receipts will not be mailed; your cancelled check is proof of payment.  Please allow 5-6 days for mail delivery. 

Cashier’s Office

Oakland University

North Foundation Hall, Room 120Q

318 Meadow Brook Road

Rochester, MI 48309-4454

In person: During non-business hours, a payment drop-box is located outside of the Cashier’s Office for payments by check only. All payments should be made payable to “Oakland University” and include the student name and the last four digits of the Grizzly ID number to ensure correct and timely processing. Receipts will not be mailed; your cancelled check is proof of payment.

Payments can be made in person at the Cashier’s Office, 120 North Foundation Hall, Rm 120Q by cash or check.  Credit/debit cards are not accepted in person at the Cashier’s Office.  The student account will be credited immediately when paying in person. Be sure to bring your driver’s license, OU GrizzCard or other government issued picture identification. Receipts will be mailed to the student if the payment is made by a third party who does not know the Grizzly ID at the time of payment.

International Payments

Oakland University has partnered with Flywire (formerly known as peerTransfer) to make international payments safe and easy.  Flywire allows students to pay from almost any country and any bank. They also offer excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing students to pay in their home currency (in most cases) and save money, compared to traditional banks.  Students will be able to track the progress of their payments throughout the transfer process with a student dashboard and e-mail notifications.  For more information or to make an international payment, visit the Student Financial Services website.

How to add an authorized user in eBill

1. Select eBill from the OU home page

2. Log into eBill using your Grizzly ID and six-digit PIN

3. Select Authorized Users in the My Profile Setup area on the home page

4. Select Add Authorized User and enter the email address of the person you are adding and select access, click Continue

5. Agree to the terms and conditions (you may also print them) and click Continue

OU payment plan: offering easy payment options for students and families

For instructions on how to use ebill, to pay your bill online, or to enroll in a payment plan,  log in to the eBill system through the student portal at MySAIL.

Residential Services - Housing

Residence halls and apartments are financially self-supporting. Housing costs, including room and board, reflect the actual cost of operation and are established by the Oakland University Board of Trustees. The 2019-20 rate for two- or three-person room and board in Fitzgerald House, Hamlin Hall, Hill House, Vandenberg Hall and Van Wagoner House is $10,430 for fall and winter combined. Single room cost for these buildings, when single rooms are available, is $11,350 for fall and winter combined. The 2019-20 rate for two-person room and board in Oak View Hall is $10,970 for double-style rooms and $11,515 for private bedroom suites for fall and winter combined. The 2019-20 rate for four-person room and board in Hillcrest Hall is $11,515 for private bedroom suites for fall and winter combined.

The Ann V. Nicholson Apartments and George T. Matthews Apartments are available to non-first-year students who have earned at least 16 cumulative credits at the time they submit their housing contract. Students can select from two-bedroom, three-bedroom (handicapped accessible) or four-bedroom apartment styles. In the Ann V. Nicholson Apartments, the 2019-20 academic year rate for a three-bedroom or four-bedroom apartment is $8,690 for fall and winter combined. The two-bedroom apartment rate is $9,140 for fall and winter combined. In the George T. Matthews Apartments, the two-bedroom apartment rate is $8,976 for fall and winter combined. Students living in the apartments are not required to have a meal program. Voluntary meal plans are available for purchase.

Students who sign a housing contract are committing to a binding agreement for the contract period. Housing costs are added to the student’s account. If a student withdraws from Oakland University, room and board costs are refunded on a prorated basis less penalty costs as described in the terms and conditions of the contract. Formal notice of withdrawal must be given to the Housing Office.

Loans and Educational Benefits

The University may provide, extend or advance funds, credits and/or other financial accommodations to students, to be applied towards their tuition and/or charges, with the understanding that students will re-pay those amounts. All such amounts, other than scholarships, fellowships, stipends and/or tuition waivers, are loans and/or educational benefits which students must repay to the University together with late payment charges as established by the University. In consideration for allowing students to attend classes, students agree to repay the University for those loans and/or educational benefits.

Expelled or Suspended Student Refund Policy (Contact Office of the Registrar)

When a student is expelled or suspended from the University for disciplinary reasons (either academic or non-academic), the date of the disciplinary violation will be used to determine whether the student is entitled to a refund of any tuition according to the current University Tuition Refund Schedule. Additionally, residence halls and apartment room and board charges will be pro-rated based on the student’s room checkout date.  Questions may be directed to the Registrar.

SSN / Taxpayer ID

The University is required to collect a student’s Taxpayer Identification Numbers (SSN/TIN) for various reasons:

  • Students applying for any form of on-campus employment
  • Students applying for financial aid
  • For the IRS required Form 1098-T

Reporting requirements for the Taxpayer’s Relief Act of 1997: You can find more information about this law on the web at IRS Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center on the Internal Revenue Services site irs.gov.

You may use our Substitute Form W-9s, Oakland University Request for Students’ or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, to submit this information.

IRS Form 1098-T: To assist you or your parents in taking a tax credit or deduction for qualified tuition and charges paid, the university will issue an IRS Form 1098-T to students each January. The 1098-T reports the amount of qualified tuition and charges billed and grants or scholarships received for the previous tax year. You may not receive a 1098-T if you do not have a valid mailing address on file or your assessed amounts consisted of only non-credit (continuing education) courses. Students can opt-in to receive their 1098-T electronically through eBill.  Students will receive an e-mail notification each year regarding the availability of their 1098-T form online.

Requirements of the Taxpayer’s Relief Act of 1997

The Taxpayer’s Relief Act of 1997, as amended by the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, offers certain American taxpayers some tax relief for specific kinds of payments made to a qualified university. These laws require universities that enroll any individual for any academic period to report specific information annually to the enrolled individual and the Department of the Treasury, including the enrolled individual’s name, address and taxpayer identification number (TIN) or social security number (SSN), and the amounts paid to the university (or billed by the university) for the enrolled person during the previous tax year. The university must report this information regardless of whether an enrolled person or other taxpayer intends to claim a credit or deduction for payments to the university.

The only exceptions to this reporting requirement apply to (a) nonresident alien individuals, (b) courses for which no academic credit is offered by the university (although reporting is required for students who enroll concurrently in both for credit and non-credit classes), (c) individuals whose qualified tuition and related expenses are waived in their entirety or paid entirely with scholarships, and (d) individuals whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement as defined in the applicable regulations (e.g., a university bills a student’s employer for all tuition and expenses and the university does not maintain a separate account for the student). The law describing the reporting requirements is 26 U.S.C § 6050S, and the applicable regulations are located at 26 C.F.R. § 1.6050S-0, et seq.

Tax Withholding and Reporting (1042-S)

For U.S. citizens and resident aliens, the University is not required to report scholarships or fellowships to the Internal Revenue Service. Reporting such income for tax purposes is the sole responsibility of the recipient.

For nonresident aliens, scholarships and fellowships may be subject to federal income tax withholding based on the student’s visa type, the degree path of the student, and the existence of a U.S. tax treaty with the student’s country of residence. The federal income tax withholding rate may be zero percent, 14 percent or 30 percent depending on the circumstances, and the tax rate may apply to a portion of the scholarship or fellowship.

The withholding rate for a nonresident alien using tax treaty provisions would be zero percent or another rate based on the treaty. If a tax treaty is not used, the withholding rate would be 14 percent of taxable portion for individuals with F, J, M or Q visas and 30 percent of taxable portion for others. The taxable portion for students not seeking a degree is the total amount of the financial aid award. The taxable portion for students seeking a degree is the total amount of the financial aid award less qualified educational expenses.
IRS tax regulations require scholarship and fellowship awards for nonresident aliens be reported to the IRS and to the recipient after each calendar year on Form 1042S - Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. Form 1042S is used to report taxable scholarship/fellowship payments made, income tax withheld and other information relating to the grant payments.  For more information regarding nonresident alien taxation in the U.S., reference IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens on on IRS.gov.

Form 1042-S will be mailed out to students by the second week of March.

Residency Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes

For University purposes, “domicile” is defined as the place where an individual intends his/her true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment to be. Also, the individual intent to return whenever away. Upon admission to the University, a student is classified either as a Michigan resident or a nonresident based upon information relating to the student’s domicile. A determination of Michigan domicile is required for in-state tuition rates to apply, except as stated below. 

An individual whose activities and circumstances, as documented to and found by the University, demonstrate that the individual has established a Michigan domicile will be classified as a resident.  An individual whose presence in the state is based on activities or circumstances that are indeterminate or temporary, such as (but not limited to) educational pursuits, will be presumed not to be domiciled in Michigan and will be classified as a nonresident.  To overcome a presumption of nonresident status, a student must file an Application for Reclassification of Residence Status and document with clear and convincing evidence that a Michigan domicile has been established. The burden of proof is on the applicant.

Evidence of domicile: Certain circumstances, although not controlling, support a claim of domicile. Other circumstances create a presumption against domicile.  Circumstances supporting a claim of domicile include:

  • Dependence upon a parent domiciled in Michigan as demonstrated by permanent employment and establishment of a household in the state;

  • Employment of the student or the student’s spouse in Michigan in a full-time, permanent position, and that employment is the primary purpose for the student’s presence in Michigan;

  • Residence with Michigan relatives who provide more than half of the student’s support including educational costs. This necessarily means that no non-Michigan resident claims the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.

The fact that certain indications of domicile may apply to a student does not mean that the student automatically will be classified as a resident or that the student is relieved of the responsibility for filing an application.  See Residency application process below.

Circumstances that do not in themselves support a claim of domicile include:

  • enrollment in high school, community college or university;
  • employment that is temporary;
  • employment in a position normally held by a student;
  • ownership or lease of property;
  • presence of relatives in the state, except as described above;
  • possession of a Michigan driver’s license or voter’s registration;
  • payment of Michigan income or property taxes;
  • the applicant’s statement of intent to be domiciled in Michigan.

In cases where the University determines that an applicant has not demonstrated establishment of Michigan domicile, unless substantial and new information arises that clearly demonstrates the establishment of domicile, the University will require the applicant to document one year of continuous physical presence in the state as one of the criteria for determining eligibility for resident classification in any subsequent application.  The year of continuous presence is never the only criterion used for determining resident eligibility, and, in itself, will not qualify a student for resident status.  

In documenting the year of continuous physical presence in Michigan, the applicant will be expected to show actual physical presence by means of enrollment, employment, in-person financial transactions, health care appointments, etc.  Having a lease or permanent address in the state does not, in itself, qualify as physical presence. A short-term absence (summer vacation of 21 days or less, spring break and break between fall and winter term), of itself, will not jeopardize compliance with the one-year requirement.  In determining the effect of a short-term absence, the nature of the absence will be assessed to determine whether it is contrary to an intent to be domiciled in Michigan.

Presumption of domicile:  Certain circumstances create a presumption of domicile. However, the presence of such a circumstance does not mean that the student will be classified automatically as a Michigan resident or that the student is relieved of the responsibility to file an application.  These circumstances include:

Dependent students:  A student is presumed to be a dependent of his or her parents if the student is 24 years of age or younger and has been primarily involved in educational pursuits or has not been entirely financially self-supporting through employment.

(a)  Residents:  The following applies only if the student has not taken steps to establish a domicile outside of Michigan or any other action inconsistent with maintaining a Michigan domicile.

  • A dependent student whose parents are domiciled in Michigan is presumed to be eligible for resident classification.
  • A dependent student whose parents are divorced is presumed to be eligible for resident classification purposes if one parent is domiciled in Michigan.
  • A student who is living in Michigan and is permanently domiciled in Michigan does not lose residence status if the parents leave Michigan, provided: (i) that the student has completed at least the junior year of high school prior to the parents’ departure, and (ii) that the student remains in Michigan, enrolled as a full-time student in high school or an institution of higher education.

(b) Non-residents: A dependent student whose parents are domiciled outside the state of Michigan is presumed to be a nonresident.

Absences from the state: Individuals domiciled in Michigan immediately preceding certain types of absences from the state may retain their eligibility for resident classification under the following conditions:

  • An individual domiciled in Michigan for five years just prior to leaving the state for less than one year may return to the University as a resident for admission and tuition purposes.
  • An individual domiciled in Michigan at the time of entry into active missionary work, Peace Corps or similar philanthropic work does not lose eligibility for resident classification as long as he or she is actively and continuously performing philanthropic work and continuously claims Michigan as the state of legal residence for income tax purposes. Dependent children of such an individual also are eligible for resident classification provided: (i) that they are coming to the University directly from high school or they have been continuously enrolled in college since graduating from high school, and (ii) that they have not claimed residency elsewhere for tuition purposes.
  • An individual who is domiciled in Michigan immediately preceding an absence from the state for full-time enrollment in school or for a medical residency program, internship or fellowship does not lose eligibility for resident classification provided that the individual has maintained significant ties to the state during his or her absence (e.g., parents still in the state, payment of state taxes, active business accounts), and that the individual has not claimed residency for tuition purposes in another state.

Resident status of non-US citizens:  Those non-US citizens who have been granted permanent resident status in the United States, and those non-US citizens who are on a visa other than a student visa, and who are engaged in permanent employment in the United States and whose employer has filed or is in the process of filing for permanent resident status on behalf of the non-US citizen, are eligible for consideration for classification as a resident. A non-US citizen will be eligible for consideration if the non-US citizen’s parents or spouse meet(s) the alien requirements above and dependent status also exists. Students who receive in-state resident classification for any reason that supports their eligibility and later moves to an ineligible student visa will be moved to a nonresident status upon receipt of the visa status change.

Application of in-state tuition rates in special circumstances: Regardless of domicile, in-state tuition rates apply to the following persons:

  • Graduate students who hold an assistantship or fellowship awarded through Oakland University;

  • Students employed in Michigan in full-time, permanent positions;

  • Students admitted to approved on-line degree or certificate programs;

  • Students who are active duty members, or the spouse or dependent child of an active duty member, of the Armed Forces of the United States, while that active duty member is stationed in Michigan and during the student’s continuous enrollment in the academic degree program in which he or she is enrolled if that active duty member is transferred to an active duty location outside Michigan; or if the student is the child of an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States who was stationed in Michigan but is transferred to an active duty location outside Michigan within the one year period preceding the student’s initial enrollment and the student continues to live in Michigan;

  • Students entitled to educational assistance under Title 38 of the United States Code and its promulgating regulations as amended from time to time.

  • Students able to demonstrate the following through documentary evidence acceptable to the University:

    (a) attendance at an accredited Michigan high school for at least three (3) years and thereafter (i) graduation from an accredited Michigan high school, or (ii) receipt of a Michigan General Educational Development High School Equivalency Certificate (GED); and (iii) commencement of education at the University within forty months of graduating from a Michigan high school or receipt of a GED.

    To establish eligibility for in-state tuition rates in this circumstance, students do not need be a legal resident of the State of Michigan or United States.

Appeal process: Any student desiring to challenge his or her initial residency classification may appeal by submitting a Residency Reclassification form with supporting documents. After initial review, the student may appeal, which is reviewed by the University Registrar or designee. A final appeal can be made to the Reclassification Appeals Committee. The committee convenes only as necessary. The determination of Residency Reclassification Appeals Committee is final.

Residency Application Process

It is the student’s responsibility to apply for admission under the proper residency classification. If a student indicates Michigan resident status on the admissions application and the admissions office questions that status, the student will be classified as a nonresident and notified of the need to file a Residency Reclassification Form to the Office of the Registrar. Questioning of residency for university purposes does not mean a student will be ineligible for resident status. In this case, a student’s circumstances must be documented and reviewed. Students are responsible for applying for the appropriate resident classification and ensuring their registration reflects the appropriate residency classification. Furthermore, the university may audit enrolled or prospective students at any time with regard to eligibility for resident classification and may reclassify students who are registered under an improper residency classification.

The presence of any of the following factors will result in an initial classification as a nonresident:

  • Out-of-state employment within the last three years;
  • Living out of state at the time of application to the university;
  • Attendance or graduation from an out-of-state high school (applies if the individual is 24 year of age or younger);
  • Attendance or graduation from an out-of-state high school and involvement in educational pursuits for the majority of time since graduation from high school.

Residency reclassification documentation: When filing for reclassification, the following are required:

  • a completed application;
  • a written signed statement explaining why Michigan is one’s true home;
  • a letter from the employer of the family member providing the major support for the student stating the family member’s position title, when the Michigan employment began, and, for aliens, the status of any application for permanent residency;
  • documentation of the Michigan home (lease or home purchase document)
  • veterans must submit a copy of the DD-214 “Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty”; and
  • the application must be submitted 30 days prior to the first day of the term.

Applicants are also responsible for providing any other documentation necessary to support their claim to resident eligibility. Additional documentation may be required by the university.

Misrepresentation and falsification of information: Applicants or students who provide false or misleading information or who intentionally omit relevant information in any document relevant to residency eligibility may be subject to legal or disciplinary measures including revocation of admission or expulsion. Students improperly classified as residents based on this type of information will have their residency classification changed and may be retroactively charged nonresident tuition for the period of time they were improperly classified.

Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education

The Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education is Oakland University’s on-campus early childhood lab school. The mission of the Lowry Center is to provide an exemplary educational setting which focuses on three related components and purposes: to provide high quality experiences for all children and families, to provide a learning lab/teaching environment for students in the School of Education and Human Services, the broad university community and neighboring communities, and to provide a setting for expanding knowledge through research and service. Lowry is part of the School of Education and Human Services at Oakland University. It is administered by the Department of Human Development and Child Studies. The Lowry Center is licensed by the State of Michigan and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.

The Lowry Center offers programming for children from eighteen months to five years of age. Using innovative equipment, materials, and practices, the highly trained teachers at Lowry foster the cognitive, emotional, social, creative and physical growth and development of each individual child in a supportive and stimulating environment. The facility is designed to promote best practices in the field of Early Childhood Education, with each classroom equipped to meet the developmental needs of that particular age group. At the Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education, our vision is that learners of all ages will have meaningful and challenging experiences that foster active participation and celebrate diverse cultures and abilities.

The Lowry Center is located in Pawley Hall on Pioneer Drive. Registration is ongoing throughout the year, based on availability. The academic year program runs from September through mid-June, and the summer camp program runs from late June or early July to early or mid-August. A variety of scheduling options are available, including half-day and full-day choices for 2, 3 or 5 days per week. For information, or to schedule a tour, contact 248-370-4100. Due to COVID-19 some of the options have been temporarily suspended- please contact the Lowry Center for information.


School of Education and Human Services Counseling Center

The School of Education and Human Services (SEHS) Counseling Center offers no-cost counseling to Oakland University students and the general public. The SEHS Counseling Center works with individual adults, adolescents, and children, as well as couples, families and groups. Counseling is provided for a wide variety of daily living issues, such as anxiety, stress, grief and loss, time management, life transitions, relationship issues, behavioral issues, and career exploration, to name a few. Career counseling is also offered for adolescents and adults. The SEHS Counseling Center is equipped with career assessments to aid those in their career exploration, educational goals, and job search.

All sessions are conducted by a closely supervised master’s or doctoral level counselor near the end of his or her training. Sessions are professional, ethical, and confidential. Clients are assigned to counselors for a semester long time period. The center is open Monday through Saturday year round, with the exception of university breaks. There are three ways to register for an appointment: by phone, call (248) 370-2633; in person, go to 250 Pawley Hall (second level); or register online.

Testing Services

Contact the testing servives website or The Department of Human Development and Child Study administers the ACT, SAT, NCE and MAT (Miller Analogies Test). Information and materials on these tests are available.

Undergraduate Education

Associate Provost:  Anne Hitt, Ph.D.

The Office of Undergraduate Education provides a single point of focus within the administration for academics and undergraduate education at Oakland University. Its university-wide mission spans the undergraduate academic experience. The Office is designed to promote quality and excellence in teaching and learning, encourage innovative ideas and enrichment of the undergraduate curriculum, enhance support services, diversity in the curriculum, establish and interpret policy, and provide oversight for campus-wide programs and initiatives including persistence and completion. One of the major missions of the office is ensuring the quality of academic programs in collaboration with Oakland University’s College of Arts and Sciences and professional schools.

Quality through accreditation

The Office has oversight of the university’s accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411. Phone: 800.621.7440 / 312.263.0456 | Fax: 312.263.7462 | info@hlcommission.org.

Quality through collaborative governance

The Office works closely with standing committees of the University Senate to implement and recognize academic quality. This includes the General Education Committee. The office supports implementation of the general education program to enhance the core experience for Oakland University’s undergraduate students. The office works with the Teaching and Learning Committee and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) to identify winners of the Teaching Excellence, Excellence in Teaching and Online Teaching Excellence awards. These awards are given each year to outstanding full and part-time instructors. Students are encouraged to nominate faculty for these awards. The Associate Provost chairs the University Committee on Undergraduate Instruction. This committee has oversight of university requirements and university-wide curriculum issues. The office is responsible for promoting diversity in the curriculum. The office works in collaboration with the Assessment Committee, which assesses the impact of academic programs on student learning.

The Office is also responsible for the decennial review of academic programs that is mandated by the University Senate. At least once every 10 years each academic program comes under review with the goal of enhancing the program’s effectiveness and maintaining a university environment of academic excellence.

Quality through special programs, opportunities and development

The Office seeks to increase opportunities for undergraduate students through oversight of special programs and opportunities including:

Office of Student Success and Experiential Learning Center

The Office of Student Success The Office of Student is designed to lead and administer campus-wide initiatives that foster student retention and persistence at Oakland University. These include programs such as the Great Lakes Regional Student Success Conference, Second Year Experience and Transfer Year Experience programs, Academic Empowerment online series, and Faculty Feedback. Questions about the office can be sent to Dr. Krista Malley, Director for Student Success. Dr. Krista Malley, Director for Student Success.

Bachelor of Integrative Studies

The Bachelor of Integrative Studies (BIS) program reports to the Office of the Associate Provost. The BIS program allows students to create an academic program that meets their educational goals by combining elements from different academic disciplines offered by the University. The creation of a BIS plan provides students with the flexibility to meet their individual academic aspirations.

Writing Assistance

The Office is responsible for the Writing Center which provides writers with an interested and supportive audience of well-trained consultants who help both novice and expert writers explore ideas, revise drafts, and develop the skills to craft polished works. Sherry Wynn Perdue is the Director, (248) 370-3120.

Quality through accurate student information

The Office has responsibility for the production of the Undergraduate Catalog. The Undergraduate Catalog is the student’s guide for navigating the educational requirements and opportunities at Oakland University. Understanding the information in the catalog, in conjunction with regular visits to the student’s academic adviser, can greatly improve a student’s likelihood of success at OU. Irene Fox Shabazz, Undergraduate Curriculum Services Manager, coordinates the Undergraduate Catalog, (248) 370-2571.

The Associate Provost is located in 205 Wilson Hall (248) 370-4955 and Undergraduate Education is located in O’Dowd, Room 342 (248) 370-2571.

Graduate School

Dean: Brandy Randall, Ph.D.

Course offerings and programs of study at the graduate level constitute a major element of Oakland University. The Schools and College offer graduate work leading to advanced degrees. All of the graduate programs have their philosophical underpinning in the university’s role and mission. Through them, the intellectual and educational needs of students are served in relation to specific careers; cultural heritage is preserved and extended; and new knowledge is produced that is directed toward the extension of frontiers and the solution of problems and issues that confront society as a whole. Programmatic balance is sought to assist in the achievement of these varied objectives. Students are assumed to be full partners in the graduate school experience.

Upper-division undergraduates with appropriate credentials, permission of their academic adviser and the department offering the course, may enroll in 5000-level graduate courses and use them toward their baccalaureate degrees. The student must complete the ‘Undergraduate Permission to Enroll in Graduate Course’ form (available on Graduate School website) and submit it to the Graduate School for final approval.

An undergraduate student enrolled in a graduate course is subject to all university regulations affecting undergraduates. The university, by allowing a student to earn graduate credit while still an undergraduate, makes no guarantee of the student’s admissibility to any graduate program. Courses completed for graduate credit and used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements can not also be used in the future to fulfill the requirements of a graduate degree. Undergraduate students considering a graduate course should consult with their adviser well in advance of the semester.

Undergraduate students, who receive financial aid and do not intend to use the graduate course to satisfy an undergraduate degree requirement, must be enrolled in a minimum full-time credit-hour load (12 credit hours) of undergraduate courses that apply to their approved degree program in addition to the graduate course(s). Graduate courses that students use toward their baccalaureate degree are counted in this minimum of 12 credit hours. Students should consult their financial aid adviser. To learn more, or for a complete list of programs and certificates, visit Graduate Catalog.