Jun 04, 2023
Requirements for the liberal arts major in communication, B.A.
The major in communication combines theory and practice and emphasizes how people analyze and make responsible choices in diverse communication contexts. Students develop critical perspectives in order to evaluate different communication approaches. Students, as communicators, learn to choose the effect their actions have on others. They learn also to choose their roles as citizens in a democratic community. This responsibility requires that they gain an appreciation for humans across our varied differences, and respect human differences among cultures, social groups, genders and individuals, and that they create an ethical voice for building personal and public relationships.
To earn the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in communication, students must complete a minimum of 40 credits, of which 20 credits must be at the 3000 level or above, plus language and writing corequisite courses.
The requirements include:
1. Required courses (must be completed with a grade of (C) or higher)
Plus one course in public address (must be completed with a grade of (C) or higher)
And one course in theory (must be completed with a grade of (C) or higher)
2. One capstone course (must be completed with a grade of (C) or higher)
3. One course from the Interpersonal group
4. One course from the Media group
5. One course from the Rhetoric/Critical Cultural group
CIN 3330 will continue to count towards the COM Major.
6. At least 8 credits in COM electives from among all COM course offerings
7. Language corequisite (select one of the following)
- American Sign Language at the university level (COM 1500 -COM 1501 ). COM 1500 -COM 1501 will also satisfy the elective requirement (see #6 above) for the major in communication.
- An introductory two-semester sequence in a modern foreign language or American sign language, OR one semester of a modern foreign language or American sign language at the 1501 level or higher. (4 credits of which will satisfy university general education language requirement).
8. Writing corequisite (select one of the following)
Additional program information
Students using this catalog to meet communication major requirements may also use any course subsequently approved as satisfying requirements in a particular group and published in a later catalog.
Communication majors interested in careers in public relations or advertising are encouraged to minor in public relations or advertising. (See the Journalism Program section of this catalog.)
Communication majors may not minor in relational communication or interactive and social media.
In addition to these major requirements, students must complete the Oakland University General Education Requirements , the College of Arts and Sciences College Exploratory Requirement , and an appropriate number of free elective classes to meet the overall credit requirement for the degree (in most cases 124; some degrees may require a greater number).
As a general rule, no more than eight credits of course work used to satisfy one major, minor or concentration may be applied toward another, but exceptions to this rule may be allowed with the written approval of the program coordinators.