Dec 10, 2023
Students must complete the Oakland University General Education Requirements, General College of Arts and Sciences Requirements, College of Arts and Sciences College Exploratory Requirement, Major Requirements, and an appropriate number of free elective classes to meet the overall credit requirement for the degree (in most cases a minimum of 124; some degrees may require a greater number).
As a general rule, no more than eight credits of coursework used to satisfy one major, minor or concentration may be applied toward another, but exceptions to this rule may be allowed with the written approval of the program coordinators.
Schedule of Classes
Specific offerings for each semester may be found in the Schedule of Classes.
General Education Requirements
In order to graduate on-schedule without taking additional courses, it is highly recommended that students meet with an Undergraduate Academic Adviser concerning the selection of all of their general education courses.
Each candidate for an Oakland University baccalaureate will need to satisfactorily complete approved courses in each of the following areas: Foundation, Exploration, Integration, Writing, U.S. Diversity and Capstone. For details, refer to the General Education Requirements section of the catalog.
Requirements for the liberal arts major in music, B.A.
Admission to Music degree programs
Admission to the music degree programs at Oakland University (OU) is a two-tiered process, except for the B.A. in Music. The first step in the process for all students is the entrance audition. These auditions are held several times a year and determine whether or not a student will be admitted to OU in any of these degree programs. For all B.M. programs, the second step is the major standing audition, which determines whether students may continue in the program, and if they can be admitted into a professional program in the school.
Entrance audition days are held several times each year. The audition schedule and downloadable application are available on the school website. Please submit application to the department office. Students should be prepared to demonstrate proficiency in their proposed area of specialization.
- Students seeking admission to Oakland University as music majors or auditioned music minors must audition for the music faculty.
- Students who audition and do not enroll within two semesters must re-audition.
- Students who enroll and leave school for at least two semesters must re-audition. Music students who enroll and leave school must re-audition and also retake the theory placement exam.
This degree is for students who wish a broad general education without a high degree of specialization in music. Students should consult the Student Resources link and should also meet with the departmental adviser in the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Office to plan their degree program. See: Student Resources
MUS 1331 satisfies the general education arts requirement for this program. MUS 3211, 3212, 4210 and 4320 count as writing intensive in the major. MUS 4320, MUS 4323, or MUS 4330 count as the general education capstone. Only major courses in which a grade of at least C has been earned will count toward the major.
This degree program requires a minimum of 124 credits.
Applied Music - 16 credits minimum (or placement)
- 12 credits in a single instrument or 13 credits in voice (must progress to a pass 3000-level applied)
- 4 credits of an applied elective for students whose primary instrument is piano
- 4 credits of applied keyboard for non-pianists (MUS 1171 and MUS 1172 )
Music history, theory, and world music - 28 credits (or placement)
Required electives - 12 credits (or placement)
One music history capstone course selected from
plus two courses selected from the following (at least one of the two must be music theory)
Language requirement - 4-8 credits
- Modern language course (1150 or higher)
Ensembles - 4 credits
Must enroll in an ensemble that uses the primary performance area every semester of major (minimum of 4 times for credit) until graduation:
- Events attendance requirement:
- All students must complete 4 events attendance cards (10 events each year for four years). May include up to 4 pre-approved music service learning events in underserved communities per year.