Nov 30, 2023
Students must complete the Oakland University General Education Requirements, General College of Arts and Sciences Requirements, College of Arts and Sciences College Exploratory Requirement, Major Requirements, and an appropriate number of free elective classes to meet the overall credit requirement for the degree (in most cases a minimum of 124; some degrees may require a greater number).
As a general rule, no more than eight credits of coursework used to satisfy one major, minor or concentration may be applied toward another, but exceptions to this rule may be allowed with the written approval of the program coordinators.
Schedule of Classes
Specific offerings for each semester may be found in the Schedule of Classes.
General Education Requirements
In order to graduate on-schedule without taking additional courses, it is highly recommended that students meet with an Undergraduate Academic Adviser concerning the selection of all of their general education courses.
Each candidate for an Oakland University baccalaureate will need to satisfactorily complete approved courses in each of the following areas: Foundation, Exploration, Integration, Writing, U.S. Diversity and Capstone. For details, refer to the General Education Requirements section of the catalog.
Requirements for the major in musical theatre, B.F.A.
Admission to the theatre degree programs
Admission to the theatre department at Oakland University (OU) is a two-tiered process. The first step in the process for all students is the entrance audition. These auditions are held several times a year and determine whether or not a student will be admitted to OU in any theatre degree programs. The second step is the major standing audition/portfolio review, which determines whether students may continue in the program, and which degree program they will pursue. More information on the major standing audition/portfolio review can be found below under “Non-credit requirements.”
Entrance audition days are held several times each year. Students should be prepared to demonstrate proficiency in their proposed area of specialization. The audition schedule, audition requirements and entrance application are available on the School of Music, Theatre and Dance website.
- Students seeking admission to Oakland University as acting majors must audition for the theatre faculty.
- Students who audition and do not enroll within two semesters must re-audition.
- Students who enroll and leave school for at least two semesters must re-audition.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts degree is intended for students who wish pre-professional and professional preparation in dance, musical theatre, acting, and theatre design and technology. Students must successfully complete the events attendance requirement and the senior interview (for more information, see below under “Non-credit requirements”). Students should consult with their theatre faculty advisor and departmental advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Office to plan their degree program. Only major courses in which a grade of at least a C has been earned will count towards the major.
Requirements - minimum of 82 credits
Acting and stage voice courses
Vocal technique and coaching courses
Applied voice - 11 credits (or placement)
- MUA 1000 - Voice (1 TO 2) (2 semesters, 3 credits) - student’s first year of study
- MUA 2000 - Voice (1 OR 2) (2 semesters, 4 credits) - students’s second year of study
- MUA 3000 - Voice (1 TO 4) (2 semesters, 4 credits) - student’s third year of study
Dance courses - 16 credits
Students are expected to take a minimum of one dance technique course each semester
Theatre performance/production practica - 6 courses (minimum of 6 credits)
A minimum of 5 courses selected from (can be repeated)
*Also counts toward capstone requirement
Theatre capstone - 3 credits minimum selected from
Theatre elective courses - 4 credits
Chosen in consultation with theatre adviser (may include DAN technique, MUA/MUE voice classes; THA 1000 excluded)
- Major standing - Students at the end of their second semester of study audition or present their portfolios to faculty to gain official entrance into the department. Students can pass and be placed into a major, be deferred and given another semester to attempt major standing, or be denied entrance into the department.
- Senior interview - Students in their last semester are required to write about their experiences in the department over the course of their study-both as a student and a theatre artist. They meet with faculty to assess their growth as a scholar and artist during their time at Oakland University.
- Events attendance requirement - Students must see at least 10 academic or professional performing arts events each year (40 performances over 4 years of study). Each year, 4 of these performances may be substituted with service-learning projects in underserved communities (up to 16 projects over 4 years of study). These performances and projects must be approved in consultation with the student’s theatre advisor.