Mar 27, 2023  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Information


General Information

Course exemption and/or credit toward graduation is granted to students who have official scores sent to the university by the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Oakland University grants credit for scores of 5 or 4 in advanced placement examinations, and, in some cases, for scores of 3. Students presenting AP scores for credit should be aware that the content of particular courses may not correspond to that of any university courses. In such cases, the AP credit would count toward graduation but would not satisfy any academic program requirements. A statement of policy regarding credits and exemptions given for particular examinations is available from the Academic Records Office, 102 O’Dowd Hall, (248) 370-3462. Students may also review the AP Policy on our website at

College-level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national program of credit-by-examination that offers a person the opportunity to obtain recognition for college-level achievement. Personal reading, on-the-job experience, adult school or correspondence courses, or television or taped courses may have prepared persons to earn college credit.

Anyone may register and, for nominal fees, take one or several of the CLEP examinations. CLEP does not directly grant college credit, but more than 2,800 educational institutions in all 50 states offer college credit on the basis of CLEP scores. In essence, credits earned through CLEP examinations are considered transfer credits into Oakland University.

What does OU accept of CLEP examinations?

Credit shall be awarded by OU for subject examinations passed with a score of 55 or above The amount of credit OU awards for subject examinations is indicated after each exam. Credit is awarded for subject examinations only if the following conditions have been met:

  • Non-transfer students must have accumulated fewer than 64 credits at the time of the examination; transfer students must have earned fewer than 32 OU credits.
  • Students must not previously have taken more advanced work in the field of the examination.
  • No credit will be granted for examinations which cover material comparable to OU courses which do not carry credit toward graduation.

For more information: to learn about individual CLEP tests, study guides and test centers visit

International Baccalaureate Diploma Program

Oakland University grants credit and/or course exemptions to students based on their IB scores. This policy is currently under review. Students who participated in the IB program in high school should request that their scores be provided to the university for evaluation.

Special Opportunities for Students

Oakland University offers students several unusual opportunities for study both on and off campus. These opportunities are described here, and academic advisers and faculty members are able to assist students interested in pursuing any of them.

Research opportunities 

At Oakland University, students are encouraged to join faculty research projects or to propose their own research and scholarly activities under faculty supervision. Student participation in research helps build leadership skills and provides an opportunity to contribute to the development of new knowledge in their chosen field. Undergraduates interested in joining a faculty research project should consult with their advisers or contact an individual faculty member concerning projects in their area of interest. Research involving the use of humans, animals, biohazardous or radioactive materials must be approved by the appropriate regulatory oversight committee before research activities can be initiated (see Academic Policies and Procedures).

There are various student research funding opportunities available at Oakland University. Currently enrolled students are invited to apply for student research and travel grants under the guidance of a full-time OU faculty member. Visit the research website at for details on student funding opportunities. 

Computing resources

A wide range of computing resources are available to students at Oakland University. All students can connect to the Internet via Grizznet, a wireless network that spans multiple campus buildings, the residence halls and student apartments. It is recommended that students purchase laptops for use on the Oakland University wireless network, or that students plan to use a personally-owned desktop computer. High quality printing capability is available in several campus locations. Computer facilities are readily accessible in Kresge Library, the Oakland Center and other departmental locations. 

Study Abroad and Study Away

International Education sponsors study abroad throughout the world and, through the National Student Exchange, study away at almost 200 campuses throughout North America, including Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, Canada, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Oakland University students may avail themselves of more than 150 different study abroad programs, some sponsored by the AHA International and the Midwest Consortium for Study Abroad in Argentina, Australia, Chile, England, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, and Spain. Our partners in the Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE) offer programs on every continent, including programs focused on business, sustainability, and service learning. The Consortium of the Japan Center for Michigan Universities sponsors our program in Hikone, Shiga Province, Japan, established in 1989. It provides up to two years of study in Japan. The Student Exchange Program in Nagoya, Japan, at Nanzan University, is a two-semester program. One year of Japanese language is required; courses are taught in English. Housing is with a Japanese family.

The College of Arts and Sciences offers an intensive six-week language and culture study at China Foreign Affairs University, Beijing, in May and June of each even-numbered year, focusing on language study via linguistic immersion into standard Mandarin Chinese. Beginning level Chinese language courses are taught by English-speaking Chinese instructors; intermediate level Chinese language courses are taught in Chinese. History and culture classes are also taught in English by Chinese professors. Classroom content includes side-trip visits to historic sites such as the Great Wall and the Forbidden City.

Other Oakland University programs include the summer British Studies at Oxford program, established in 1976, the summer Israel Archeology program, the summer Drumming and Dance program in Ghana, the summer Theatre and Studio Art program in Hydra, Greece, and semester programs sponsored by the Department of Modern Languages in Orleans, France, and the University of Oldenburg in Oldenburg, Germany.

All programs provide credits toward baccalaureate degrees. For additional information about these programs, see the Center for International Programs portion of this catalog, the Office of International Education web site ( For information about additional study abroad opportunities, see the Modern Languages and Literatures section of the catalog or the Office of International Education web site (

Veterans’ Certification

Students receiving VA education benefits must complete a request for enrollment certification with the Office of the Registrar at the beginning of each semester. Students must have all eligibility documents on file with that office as well as an academic plan of work. Students receiving benefits must report promptly all changes in enrollment. Students on probation for two consecutive terms cannot be certified for benefits. For further information, please contact the certifying official at the Registrar’s Office, 101A O’Dowd Hall, (248) 370-4010.

Oakland University E-mail

Oakland University provides each student with free e-mail service and an e-mail address. Important notices about official Oakland University business are sent to e-mail accounts, instead of through the United States Postal Service. This information is important to maintaining a student’s relationship with the university and will include notices about financial aid, grades, tuition bills, and other relevant data. The university will hold students accountable for all information sent via e-mail. Therefore, all registered students should check their Oakland University e-mail account regularly at least weekly. The University Technology Services website ( offers tips and information on how to activate, access and forward your OU e-mail. Oakland University will not sell or give away student e-mail information and will not use e-mail to advertise for third parties.


Tuition rates subject to revision

The Oakland University Board of Trustees reserves the right to change any and all tuition rates when circumstances make such a change necessary.

Tuition rates

Tuition rates quoted in this catalog are from the 2013-2014 academic year unless otherwise indicated.

Michigan residents who register as lower-division undergraduates (fewer than 56 total credits) are assessed $353.75 per credit. Upper-division undergraduates (more than 55 total credits) are assessed $386.75 per credit. Graduate students are assessed $617.50 per credit. All students who are classified as nonresidents are assessed tuition at out-of-state rates: $795.75 per credit for lower-division undergraduate students; $853.25 per credit for upper-division undergraduate students and $1,027.00 for graduate students. Tuition rates for upper-division undergraduate students also applies to post-baccalaureate and undergraduate college guest students. All university charges are subject to revision, without prior notice, by action of the Board of Trustees.

Tuition rate charts may be found on the Oakland University website at under ‘Costs’.

Course competency by examination fee

Students who register for degree credit by course competency examination are assessed $55.00 per credit.

Billing cycle and due dates

Tuition is payable in U.S. dollars.  Remittance should be made payable to “Oakland University” and identified with the student name and Grizzly ID number. Tuition and university housing charges are generally due three weeks into a semester. Student Business Services will send billing notifications electronically to each student’s official Oakland University e-mail address. Students also may access their student account information, including bills, via the eBill system at Questions about your bill may be addressed to the Office of Student Financial Services. For important billing and payment information, visit the Student Business Services website at


Payments returned by the bank are considered nonpayment and may result in cancellation of registration. A $25.00 returned items charge will be assessed for returned items.

Late Payment Penalty

Payment in full of the total balance due will avoid assessment of a 1.5% monthly late payment penalty. Student accounts must be paid in full by the established due dates for students to be eligible to register during the next registration period. Online transcripts, diplomas or other statements of record will be withheld and students will be ineligible to enroll and/or continue to be enrolled in future semesters until their obligations have been fulfilled. If an account is not paid in full by the end of the semester, it will be referred to an outside collection agency that will report it to the Credit Bureau.

Payment and Registration Status

All registrations for a given semester are considered to be temporary and tentative, based on satisfactory academic progress and total satisfaction of all financial obligations to the university. Oakland University will reverse the future semester registration of any student if the student has a delinquent account balance from a prior semester. For more information, please see the De-Registration Policy on the Student Business Services website at

NOTE: Students who find it necessary to drop all courses for which they are registered may do so by withdrawing with Registrar Services or by dropping all of their classes via SAIL Web. Forms are available on the Office of the Registrar’s website. Students who use SAIL Web to drop their last class will be considered withdrawn effective the date they drop their last class. Refunds, if applicable, are based on the date the course was dropped.

Payment Options

All payments must be in U.S. currency.

Remittance should be made payable to “Oakland University” and identified with the student name and the last four digits of the Grizzly ID number.

Payments returned by the bank are considered nonpayment and may result in cancellation of registration. A $25.00 returned items charge will be assessed for returned items.

Payments options are as follows:

  • Online through eBill at Online payment methods include online checking or savings account, debit card, or credit card. You will need your Grizzly ID number and six-digit SAIL PIN. The account will be credited immediately when paying by eBill. Electronic payment confirmations will be sent.
  • By mail, by check, to the Cashier’s Office, 120 North Foundation Hall, Oakland University, Rochester, MI 48309-4401. Please allow 5-6 days for mail delivery. All payments should include the last four digits of the Grizzly ID number to ensure correct and timely processing. Receipts will not be mailed; your cancelled check is proof of payment.
  • In person, at the Cashier’s Office, by cash, check, debit card or credit card. The student account will be credited immediately when paying in person. Be sure to bring your driver’s license, OU Spirit Card or other government-issued picture identification. You may use the payment drop-box, located outside of the Cashier’s Office, during non-business hours for check payments only. Receipts will be mailed to the student if the payment is made by a third party who does not know the Grizzly ID at the time of payment.

OU payment plan: offering easy payment options for students and families

For instructions on how to use eBill, to pay your bill online, or to enroll in a payment plan, visit

De-registration Policy

Students who are not in good financial standing [have a past due balance from a prior semester(s)] will be taken out of their future semester classes. Students will be required to re-enroll for classes based on class availability if they correct their financial standing by paying the past due balance from the prior semester(s) in full. To stay in good financial standing, please pay all OU bills on or before their due dates. For more information, please see the De-Registration Policy on the Student Business Services website at

Residential Service Fees – Housing

Residence halls and apartments are financially self-supporting. Housing costs, including room and board, reflect the actual cost of operation and are established by the Oakland University Board of Trustees. The 2013-2014 rate for double room and board is $8,576 for fall and winter combined. Single room costs, if available, are $9,324.

The Ann V. Nicholson Apartments and George T. Matthews Apartments are available for students who have junior standing (56 credits or above) and are at least 20 years old. Students can select from two-bedroom, three-bedroom (handicapped accessible) or four-bedroom apartment styles. The 2013-2014 academic year rate for a four-bedroom apartment is $6,800. The two-bedroom apartment rate is $7,146. Students living in the apartments are not required to have a meal program. Voluntary meal plans are available for purchase.

Students who sign a housing contract are committing to a binding agreement for the contract period. The housing costs may be paid in full at registration or paid in installments as specified in the Schedule of Classes. If a student withdraws from Oakland University, room and board costs are refunded on a prorated basis less penalty costs as described in the terms and conditions of the contract. Formal notice of withdrawal must be given to the Housing Office.

Non-Dischargeable Educational Benefits

Oakland University (“university”) may provide, extend or advance funds, credits and/or other financial accommodations to students, to be applied toward their tuition, with the understanding that students will re-pay those amounts. All such amounts, other than scholarships, fellowships, stipends and/or tuition waivers, are loans and/or educational benefits which students must repay to the university together with late payment charges as established by the university. In consideration for allowing students to attend classes, students agree to repay the university loans and/or educational benefits and acknowledge that their re-payment obligation is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Expelled or Suspended Student Refund Policy

When a student is expelled or suspended from the university for disciplinary reasons (either academic or non-academic), the date of the disciplinary violation will be used to determine whether the student is entitled to a refund of any tuition according to the current University Tuition Refund Schedule. Additionally, residence halls and apartment room and board charges will be pro-rated based on the student’s room checkout date.

Taxpayer Identification Numbers

University requirement to collect Taxpayer Identification Numbers (SSN/TIN):

The University is required to collect a student’s SSN/TIN for various reasons:

  • Students applying for any form of on-campus employment.
  • Students applying for financial aid.

The Taxpayer’s Relief Act of 1997 was passed by the Congress and signed into Federal Law by the President in 1997 to offer the American taxpayer some relief if they made payments during the tax year to a qualified university. Part of this law is a requirement that the university receiving such payments report annually, to the taxpayer and the Department of Treasury, the taxpayer’s identification number (for individuals, this is their social security number), the taxpayer’s name, qualified tuition and charges billed and grants or scholarships received, and the student’s enrollment status. This information is to be reported regardless of the taxpayer’s intention to actually take a credit or deduction under this law. The university must therefore receive your TIN before it can conduct billing and receipting transactions with you. You can find more information about this law on the web at or by going to the Internal Revenue Service site and refer to the “Tax Regs” section. This public law is in the Internal Revenue Code, Section 6050S.

You may use an IRS Form W-9S to submit this information. This form may be obtained at 1098-T: Please submit your completed form W-9S to Student Business Services via fax: 248-370-4661; via US mail: Attn: 1098T, Student Business Services, Oakland University, 2200 N. Squirrel Road, Rochester, MI 48309-4401; or drop it off at: Cashier’s Office, 120 North Foundation Hall, Oakland University.

IRS Form 1098-T: To assist you or your parents in taking a tax credit or deduction for qualified tuition and charges paid, the university will issue an IRS Form 1098-T to students each January. The 1098-T reports the amount of qualified tuition and charges billed and grants or scholarships received for the previous tax year. You may obtain your 1098-T electronically by visiting Click ‘Login to Secure Area’; click ‘Student Services & Financial Aid’; click ‘Student Records’; and then click ‘Tax Notification’.

Requirements of the Taxpayer’s Relief Act of 1997

The Taxpayer’s Relief Act of 1997, as amended by the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, offers certain American taxpayers some tax relief for specific kinds of payments made to a qualified university. These laws require universities that enroll any individual for any academic period to report specific information annually to the enrolled individual and the Department of the Treasury, including the enrolled individual’s name, address and taxpayer identification number (TIN) or social security number (SSN), and the amounts paid to the university (or billed by the university) for the enrolled person during the previous tax year. The university must report this information regardless of whether an enrolled person or other taxpayer intends to claim a credit or deduction for payments to the university. The only exceptions to this reporting requirement apply to (a) nonresident alien individuals, (b) courses for which no academic credit is offered by the university (although reporting is required for students who enroll concurrently in both for credit and non-credit classes), (c) individuals whose qualified tuition and related expenses are waived in their entirety or paid entirely with scholarships, and (d) individuals whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement as defined in the applicable regulations (e.g., a university bills a student’s employer for all tuition and expenses and the university does not maintain a separate account for the student). The university must therefore receive your TIN or SSN before it can conduct billing and receipting transactions with you. The law describing the reporting requirements is 26 U.S.C § 6050S, and the applicable regulations are located at 26 C.F.R. § 1.6050S-0, et seq.

Tax Withholding and Reporting

For U.S. citizens and resident aliens, the university is not required to report scholarships or fellowships to the Internal Revenue Service. Reporting such income for tax purposes is the sole responsibility of the recipient.

For nonresident aliens, scholarships and fellowships may be subject to federal income tax withholding based on the student’s visa type, the degree path of the student, and the existence of a U.S. tax treaty with the student’s country of residence. The federal income tax withholding rate may be 0%, 14%, or 30%, depending on the circumstances, and the tax rate may apply to a portion of the scholarship or fellowship.

The withholding rate for a nonresident alien using tax treaty provisions would be 0% or another rate based on the treaty. If a tax treaty is not used, the withholding rate would be 14% of the taxable portion for individuals with F, J or M visas and 30% of the taxable portion for others. The taxable portion for students not seeking a degree is the total amount of the financial aid award. The taxable portion for students seeking a degree is the total amount of the financial aid award less qualified educational expenses.

IRS tax regulations require scholarship and fellowship awards for nonresident aliens be reported to the IRS and to the recipient after each calendar year on Form 1042S – Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. Form 1042S is used to report taxable scholarship/fellowship payments made, income tax withheld and other information relating to the grant payments.

Oakland University mails out Form 1042S to students during the second week of March.

Residency Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes

For University purposes, “domicile” is defined as the place where an individual intends his/her true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment to be, and to which the individual intends to return whenever away. Upon admission to the University, a student is classified either as a Michigan resident or a nonresident based upon information relating to the student’s domicile. A determination of Michigan domicile is required for in-state tuition rates to apply, except as stated below.

An individual whose activities and circumstances, as documented to and found by the University, demonstrate that the individual has established a Michigan domicile will be classified as a resident. An individual whose presence in the state is based on activities or circumstances that are indeterminate or temporary, such as (but not limited to) educational pursuits, will be presumed not to be domiciled in Michigan and will be classified as a nonresident. To overcome a presumption of nonresident status, a student must file an Application for Reclassification of Residence Status and document with clear and convincing evidence that a Michigan domicile has been established. The burden of proof is on the applicant.

Evidence of domicile: Certain circumstances, although not controlling, support a claim of domicile. Other circumstances create a presumption against domicile. Circumstances supporting a claim of domicile include:

  • Dependence upon a parent domiciled in Michigan as demonstrated by permanent employment and establishment of a household in the state;
  • Employment of the student or the student’s spouse in Michigan in a full-time, permanent position, and that employment is the primary purpose for the student’s presence in Michigan;
  • Residence with Michigan relatives who provide more than half of the student’s support including educational costs. This necessarily means that no non-Michigan resident claims the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.

The fact that certain indications of domicile may apply to a student does not mean that the student automatically will be classified as a resident or that the student is relieved of the responsibility for filing an application. See Residency application process below.

Circumstances that do not in themselves support a claim of domicile include:

  • enrollment in high school, community college or university;
  • employment that is temporary;
  • employment in a position normally held by a student;
  • ownership or lease of property;
  • presence of relatives in the state, except as described above;
  • possession of a Michigan driver’s license or voter’s registration;
  • payment of Michigan income or property taxes;
  • the applicant’s statement of intent to be domiciled in Michigan.

In cases where the University determines that an applicant has not demonstrated establishment of Michigan domicile, unless substantial and new information arises that clearly demonstrates the establishment of domicile, the University will require the applicant to document one year of continuous physical presence in the state as one of the criteria for determining eligibility for resident classification in any subsequent application. The year of continuous presence is never the only criterion used for determining resident eligibility, and, in itself, will not qualify a student for resident status.

In documenting the year of continuous physical presence in Michigan, the applicant will be expected to show actual physical presence by means of enrollment, employment, in-person financial transactions, health care appointments, etc. Having a lease or permanent address in the state does not, in itself, qualify as physical presence. A short-term absence (summer vacation of 21 days or less, spring break and break between fall and winter term), of itself, will not jeopardize compliance with the one-year requirement. In determining the effect of a short-term absence, the nature of the absence will be assessed to determine whether it is contrary to an intent to be domiciled in Michigan.

Presumption of domicile: Certain circumstances create a presumption of domicile. However, the presence of such a circumstance does not mean that the student will be classified automatically as a Michigan resident or that the student is relieved of the responsibility to file an application. These circumstances include:

Dependent students: A student is presumed to be a dependent of his or her parents if the student is 24 years of age or younger and has been primarily involved in educational pursuits or has not been entirely financially self-supporting through employment.

(a) Residents: The following applies only if the student has not taken steps to establish a domicile outside of Michigan or any other action inconsistent with maintaining a Michigan domicile.

  • A dependent student whose parents are domiciled in Michigan is presumed to be eligible for resident classification.
  • A dependent student whose parents are divorced is presumed to be eligible for resident classification purposes if one parent is domiciled in Michigan.
  • A student who is living in Michigan and is permanently domiciled in Michigan does not lose residence status if the parents leave Michigan, provided: (i) that the student has completed at least the junior year of high school prior to the parents’ departure, and (ii) that the student remains in Michigan, enrolled as a full-time student in high school or an institution of higher education.

(b) Non-residents: A dependent student whose parents are domiciled outside the state of Michigan is presumed to be a nonresident.

Absences from the state: Individuals domiciled in Michigan immediately preceding certain types of absences from the state may retain their eligibility for resident classification under the following conditions:

  • An individual domiciled in Michigan for 5 years just prior to leaving the state for less than one year may return to the University as a resident for admission and tuition purposes.
  • An individual domiciled in Michigan at the time of entry into active missionary work, Peace Corps or similar philanthropic work does not lose eligibility for resident classification as long as he or she is actively and continuously performing philanthropic work and continuously claims Michigan as the state of legal residence for income tax purposes. Dependent children of such an individual also are eligible for resident classification provided: (i) that they are coming to the University directly from high school or they have been continuously enrolled in college since graduating from high school, and (ii) that they have not claimed residency elsewhere for tuition purposes.
  • An individual who is domiciled in Michigan immediately preceding an absence from the state for full-time enrollment in school or for a medical residency program, internship or fellowship does not lose eligibility for resident classification provided that the individual has maintained significant ties to the state during his or her absence (e.g., parents still in the state, payment of state taxes, active business accounts), and that the individual has not claimed residency for tuition purposes in another state.

Resident status of aliens: Notwithstanding the above, except for those aliens holding a permanent resident visa, the only aliens eligible for consideration for classification as a resident are those who are on a visa other than a student visa; and who are engaged in permanent employment in the United States; and whose employer has filed or is in the process of filing for permanent resident status on behalf of the alien. An alien will be eligible for consideration if the alien’s parents or spouse meet(s) the alien requirements above and dependent status also exists.

Application of in-state tuition rates in special circumstances: Regardless of domicile, in-state tuition rates apply to the following persons:

  • Graduate students who hold an assistantship or fellowship awarded through Oakland University;
  • Students employed in Michigan in full-time, permanent positions;
  • Students admitted to approved on-line degree or certificate programs;
  • Students who are active duty members, or the spouse or dependent child of an active duty member, of the Armed Forces of the United States, while that active duty member is stationed in Michigan and during the student’s continuous enrollment in the academic degree program in which he or she is enrolled if that active duty member is transferred to an active duty location outside Michigan; or if the student is the child of an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States who was stationed in Michigan but is transferred to an active duty location outside Michigan within the one year period preceding the student’s initial enrollment and the student continues to live in Michigan.
  • Veteran students of the U.S. military who have been honorably discharged regardless of their domicile.

Appeal process: Any student desiring to challenge his or her initial residency classification may appeal the determination to the Office of the Registrar, 101A O’Dowd Hall, (248-370-3455). The Senior Associate Registrar makes the initial determination of residency. Registrar is the second level of appeal and the Residency Reclassification Appeals Committee is the third level of appeal. The committee convenes only as necessary. The determination of Residency Reclassification Appeals Committee is final.

Residency Application Process

It is the student’s responsibility to apply for admission under the proper residency classification. If a student indicates Michigan resident status on the admissions application and the admissions office questions that status, the student will be classified as a nonresident and notified of the need to file an Application for Reclassification of Residence Status with the Residency Reclassification Appeals Office. The fact that a student’s claim to residency for university purposes is questioned does not necessarily mean that he or she will be ineligible for resident status; it simply means that the student’s circumstances must be documented and reviewed. Failure on the part of admissions staff to question a student’s claim to resident eligibility does not relieve the student of the responsibility to apply and register under the proper residency classification. Furthermore, the university may audit enrolled or prospective students at any time with regard to eligibility for resident classification and may reclassify students who are registered under an improper residency classification.

The presence of any of the following factors will result in an initial classification as a nonresident:

  • Out-of-state employment within the last three years;
  • Living out of state at the time of application to the university;
  • Attendance or graduation from an out-of-state high school (applies if the individual is 24 year of age or younger);
  • Attendance or graduation from an out-of-state high school and involvement in educational pursuits for the majority of time since graduation from high school.

Residency reclassification documentation: When filing for reclassification, the following are required:

  • a completed application;
  • a written signed statement explaining why Michigan is one’s true home;
  • a letter from the employer of the family member providing the major support for the student stating the family member’s position title, when the Michigan employment began, and, for aliens, the status of any application for permanent residency;
  • documentation of the Michigan home (lease or home purchase document)
  • veterans must submit a copy of the DD-214 “Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty”; and
  • the application must be submitted 30 days prior to the first day of the term. 

Applicants are also responsible for providing any other documentation necessary to support their claim to resident eligibility. Additional documentation may be required by the university.

Misrepresentation and falsification of information: Applicants or students who provide false or misleading information or who intentionally omit relevant information in any document relevant to residency eligibility may be subject to legal or disciplinary measures including revocation of admission or expulsion. Students improperly classified as residents based on this type of information will have their residency classification changed and may be retroactively charged nonresident tuition for the period of time they were improperly classified.

Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education

The Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education is Oakland University’s on-campus early childhood lab school. The mission of the Lowry Center is to provide an exemplary educational setting which focuses on three related components and purposes: to provide high quality experiences for all children and families, to provide a learning lab/teaching environment for students in the School of Education and Human Services, the broad university community and neighboring communities, and to provide a setting for expanding knowledge through research and service. Lowry is part of the School of Education and Human Services at Oakland University. It is administered by the Department of Human Development and Child Studies. The Lowry Center is licensed by the State of Michigan, accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children, and registered on the Michigan’s Great Start to Quality rating system.

The Lowry Center offers programming for children from eighteen months to five years of age. Using innovative equipment, materials, and practices, the highly trained teachers at Lowry foster the cognitive, emotional, social, creative and physical growth and development of each individual child in a supportive and stimulating environment. The facility is designed to promote best practices in the field of Early Childhood Education, with each classroom equipped to meet the developmental needs of that particular age group. At the Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education, our vision is that Learners of all ages will have meaningful and challenging experiences that foster active participation and celebrate diverse cultures and abilities.

The Lowry Center is located in Pawley Hall on Pioneer Drive. Registration is ongoing throughout the year, based on availability. The academic year program runs from September through mid-June, and the summer camp program runs from late June or early July to early or mid-August. A variety of scheduling options are available, including half-day and full-day choices for 2, 3 or 5 days per week. For information, or to schedule a tour, contact 248-370-4100.

School of Education and Human Services Counseling Center

The School of Education and Human Services (SEHS) Counseling Center offers no cost counseling to Oakland University students and the general public. The SEHS Counseling Center works with individual adults, adolescents, and children, as well as couples, families and groups. Counseling is provided for a wide variety of daily living issues, such as anxiety, stress, grief and loss, time management, life transitions, relationship issues, behavioral issues, and career exploration, to name a few. Career counseling is also offered for adolescents and adults. The SEHS Counseling Center is equipped with career assessments to aid those in their career exploration, educational goals, and job search.

All sessions are conducted by a closely supervised master’s or doctoral level counselor near the end of his or her training. Sessions are professional, ethical, and confidential. Clients are assigned to counselors for a semester long time period. The center is open Monday through Saturday year round, with the exception of university breaks. There are three ways to register for an appointment: by phone, call (248) 370-2633; in person, go to 250 Pawley Hall (second level); or register online at

Testing Services 

The Registrar’s Office administers the GRE, LSAT, PCAT, and MPRE. The Department of Human Development and Child Study administers the ACT, NCE and MAT (Miller Analogies Test). Information and materials on these tests are available.

Office of Undergraduate Education

Interim Vice Provost: Scott L. Crabill, Ph.D.

The Office of Undergraduate Education provides a single point of focus within the administration for undergraduate education at Oakland University. Its university-wide mission spans undergraduate academic experience. The Office is designed to: promote quality and excellence in teaching and learning, encourage innovative ideas and enrichment of the undergraduate curriculum, enhance support services, diversity in the curriculum, establish and interpret policy, and provide oversight for campus-wide programs and initiatives. One of the major missions of the office is ensuring the quality of undergraduate programs in collaboration with Oakland University’s College of Arts and Sciences and professional schools.

Quality through accreditation

The Office of Undergraduate Education has oversight of the university’s accreditation through the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission (NCA). (Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools,, (312) 263-0456)

Quality through collaborative governance

The Office of Undergraduate Education works closely with standing committees of the University Senate to implement and recognize academic quality. This includes the General Education Committee. The office supports implementation of the general education program to enhance the core experience for Oakland University’s undergraduate students. The office works with the Teaching and Learning Committee and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) to identify winners of the Teaching Excellence and Excellence in Teaching awards. These awards are given each year to outstanding full and part-time instructors. Students are encouraged to nominate faculty for these awards. The Interim Vice Provost chairs the University Committee on Undergraduate Instruction. This committee has oversight of university requirements and university-wide curriculum issues. The office is responsible for promoting diversity in the curriculum. The office works in collaboration with the Assessment Committee, which assesses the impact of academic programs on student learning.

The office is also responsible for the decennial review of academic programs that is mandated by the University Senate. At least once every 10 years each academic program comes under review with the goal of enhancing the program’s effectiveness and maintaining a university environment of academic excellence.

Quality through special student programs, opportunities and development

The office conducts development opportunities for faculty including an annual orientation to acquaint new faculty with Oakland University and to help ensure a productive classroom experience, workshops, and faculty learning committees. The office also supports the activities of the Teaching and Learning Committee that are designed to increase awareness of effective teaching practices including the Teaching & Learning Newsletter.

The office seeks to increase opportunities for undergraduate students through oversight of special programs and opportunities including:

Office of Academic Service Learning

Academic Service Learning is a teaching methodology that utilizes community-based partners to help students achieve course objectives, new knowledge, and civic involvement. The Office of Academic Service Learning (OASL) seeks to enrich the education of students by providing resources to faculty for creating and improving innovative instructional assignments that advance civic engagement. The OASL strives to provide faculty and students with meaningful academic experiences that allow collaboration with the university and surrounding community. Dr. Scott L. Crabill is the director of this office, (248) 370-3223.

International Experience

The Office of Undergraduate Education oversees the Office of International Education. This office is designed to expand opportunities for Oakland University students to study abroad. Study abroad offers opportunities for students to expand their awareness of other cultures and to learn about themselves. Dr. Brian Connery is the director, (248) 370-4131.

Honors College and Undergraduate Research

The Office of Undergraduate Education oversees the Honors College (HC). The Honors College is designed to offer a challenging environment to outstanding undergraduate students. The Office of Undergraduate Education encourages faculty to engage undergraduate students in research projects and to mentor undergraduate scholarship. The HC maintains a list of faculty mentors willing to involve undergraduate students in research. Dr. Graeme Harper is the director, (248) 370-4450.

Bachelor of Integrative Studies

The Bachelor of Integrative Studies (BIS) reports to the Office of Undergraduate Education. The BIS program allows students to create an academic program that meets their educational goals by combining elements from different academic disciplines offered by the University. The creation of a BIS plan provides students with the flexibility to meet their individual academic aspirations. Dr. Scott L. Crabill is director of this office, (248) 370-3229.

Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning

The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning supports faculty efforts to improve teaching by creating learning environments in which our diverse student body achieves maximal learning potential, and promotes a culture throughout the university which values and rewards effective teaching, and respects and supports individual differences among learners. The center is open to all full-time and part-time faculty and graduate assistants who teach at Oakland University. Dr. Judith Ablser is the director, (248) 370-2466.

Quality through accurate student information

The Office of Undergraduate Education has responsibility for the production of the Undergraduate Catalog. The Undergraduate Catalog is the student’s guide for navigating the educational requirements and opportunities at Oakland University. Understanding the information in the catalog, in conjunction with regular visits to the student’s academic adviser, can greatly improve a student’s likelihood of success at OU. Irene Fox, assistant to the vice provost, coordinates the Undergraduate Catalog, (248) 370-2571.

The Office of Undergraduate is located in 160 North Foundation Hall and can be reached at (248) 370-2571.

Graduate Study and Lifelong Learning

Executive Director of Graduate Study: Claire Rammel, M.A.

Course offerings and programs of study at the graduate level constitute a major Oakland University enterprise. Most schools and departments offer some form of graduate work leading to advanced degrees. All of the graduate programs have their philosophical underpinning in the university’s role and mission statement. Through them, the intellectual and educational needs of students are served in relation to specific careers; cultural heritage is preserved and extended; and new knowledge is produced that is directed toward the extension of frontiers and the solution of problems and issues that confront society as a whole. Programmatic balance is sought to assist in the achievement of these varied objectives. Students are assumed to be full partners in the process of program implementation. Through this partnership, the goals and purposes of graduate education are fulfilled.

Upper-division undergraduates with appropriate credentials, permission of their academic adviser and the department offering the course, may enroll in 500-level graduate courses and use them toward their baccalaureate degrees. The student must complete the ‘Undergraduate Permission to Enroll in Graduate Course’ form (available on Graduate Study website) and submit to Graduate Study for final approval.

An undergraduate student enrolled in a graduate course is subject to all university regulations affecting undergraduates. The university, by allowing a student to earn graduate credit while still an undergraduate, makes no guarantee of the student’s admissibility to any graduate program. Courses completed for graduate credit and used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements may not also be used in the future to fulfill the requirements of a graduate degree. Undergraduate students considering a graduate course should consult with their adviser well in advance of the semester.

Undergraduate students, who receive financial aid and do not intend to use the graduate course to satisfy an undergraduate degree requirement, must be enrolled in a minimum full-time credit-hour load (12 credit hours) of undergraduate courses that apply to their approved degree program in addition to the graduate course (s). Graduate courses that students use toward their baccalaureate degree are counted in this minimum 12 credit hours. Students should consult their financial aid adviser. To learn more, or for a complete list of programs and certificates, visit Graduate Catalog at