Jul 18, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Application Requirements

Official transcripts are required from all post-secondary educational institutions from which the applicant earned a degree (beginning with first baccalaureate) and all enrollment in graduate level course work beyond the bachelor’s degree.

International university transcripts (educational credentials) must be evaluated by a professional credential evaluation service. Oakland University will only accept transcript evaluations completed by a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation service) member organization.

Three-year baccalaureate degree
Applicants with a three-year baccalaureate degree from an institution outside of the U.S. are welcome provided:  1) they have been awarded the degree at the time of application; 2) the degree would qualify them for admission to an academic graduate program in the country in which it was earned; and 3) their degree evaluation must include a course-by-course (or detailed) transcript evaluation rather than the general transcript evaluation.

General document-by-document evaluation
A general document-by-document evaluation contains a description of your credentials, including name, year awarded, name of institution attended, and major field of study. It also provides the U.S. equivalent for each credential.  Not permitted for 3-year baccalaureate degrees.

Course-by-Course transcript evaluation (preferred)
Graduate programs requiring more detailed information will require an applicant to submit a course-by-course transcript evaluation.  A course by course transcript evaluation details all post-secondary subjects with the corresponding values expressed in terms of U.S. equivalent course grade, semester units and credit units for each subject

Since official transcripts must be submitted to the evaluation service, official foreign transcripts will not be required by Oakland University

  • Two official and original Recommendation for Graduate Admission forms.
    (Note: Some programs require more than two recommendation forms. Refer to the program application requirements listed below for the total number of recommendations and specific requirements for the recommendations.)
  • Proof of English language proficiency

​​International supplemental application and supporting documentation must be submitted before international applicants can be issued the Certification of Eligibility (I-20). This certificate is required to apply for a student visa from the U.S. embassy or consulate.