1015 Human Health Building
The Graduate Certificate in Exercise Science is designed to offer a logical, coherent, yet flexible program of study that will meet the needs of a select group of graduate students seeking to improve their skills in specialized areas of exercise science, such as ergonomics, human performance analysis, sports science and health promotion.
Admission terms and application deadlines
Before an applicant’s file can be reviewed for full program admission, all application documents must be received in Oakland University Graduate School by the semester deadlines listed below. Incomplete applications will not be sent to departments for admission review.
To be considered for graduate admission, applicants must submit all Graduate Application Requirements and additional department requirements by the published application deadlines:
- Additional department application requirements
- Applicants should have a background in basic and applied health sciences and a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
- Exercise Science Supplemental Application Form which includes a goal statement
- Requirements for recommendations
The two Recommendation for Graduate Admission forms listed above must be from academics familiar with the student’s abilities (preferred) or from employment supervisors.
- International applicants must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and arrange for their official GRE scores to be submitted to Oakland University. The institution code for Oakland University is 1497.
It is strongly recommended that applicants have suitable work experience in the field of exercise science.
Applicants with an undergraduate GPA less than 3.0 with the appropriate academic background and strong letters of recommendation may be considered for admission with limited standing. Applicants who qualify for this admission status must complete a minimum of 12 credits of graduate-level work, with a GPA of 3.0 or above within the first year of their program, to be advanced to full admission.
Admission review and assessment
Admission to graduate school at Oakland University is selective. In making admission recommendations to Oakland University Graduate School, each department assesses the potential of applicants for success in the program by examining their undergraduate records, goal statement, letters of recommendation, prerequisite courses and any other admission requirements established by the academic department.
Completion of the following prerequisite coursework is required. Students should have completed the required prerequisite coursework at the appropriate undergraduate or graduate level, prior to beginning coursework for the graduate certificate.
- Human anatomy
- Human physiology
- Exercise physiology
- Kinesiology (human motion analysis)
- First aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Four credits of health enhancement (or physical education activity/theory).
While not required, additional coursework in biochemistry, organic chemistry and mathematics through precalculus is recommended.