Mar 03, 2024
Requirements for the major in musical theatre, B.F.A. program
Admission to the theatre degree programs
Admission to the theatre degree programs at Oakland University (OU) is a two-tiered process. The first step in the process for all students is the entrance audition. These auditions are held several times a year and determine whether or not a student will be admitted to OU in any of these degree programs. The second step is the major standing audition, which determines whether students may continue in the program, and which degree program they may pursue.
Entrance audition days are held several times each year. The audition schedule and downloadable application are available on the department website at oakland.edu/theatre. Please submit application to the department office. Students should be prepared to demonstrate proficiency in their proposed area of specialization.
- Students seeking admission to Oakland University as acting and musical theatre majors must audition for the theatre faculty.
- Students seeking admission to Oakland University as theatre design and technology majors must participate in a portfolio interview with the theatre faculty.
- Students who audition and do not enroll within two semesters must re-audition.
- Students who enroll and leave school for at least two semesters must re-audition.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts degree is intended for students who wish pre-professional and professional preparation in musical theatre, acting, and theatre design and technology. Students must successfully complete the performance production requirement, the events attendance requirement and the senior interview as described in the department’s Undergraduate Theatre Handbook available on the department website, oakland.edu/theatre. Students should consult with the departmental adviser in the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Office to plan their degree program. Only major courses in which a grade of at least 2.0 has been earned will count towards the major.
Musical theatre requirements - 74-80 credits
Applied voice - 10 credits
Vocal ensemble - 1 credit selected from
Theatre capstone - 4 credits minimum selected from
Theatre elective courses - 4 credits
Chosen in consultation with theatre adviser (may include DAN technique, MUA/MUE voice classes; THA 100 excluded)
- Major standing
- Senior interview
- Performance production requirement
- Events attendance requirement